Kentucky Libraries Journal
PUBLICATION GUIDELINES FOR KENTUCKY LIBRARIES
1. Manuscripts should be submitted in Word to the KLA editor through e-mail. Manuscripts should not exceed 8 pages (~ 2000 words) and should include your name and title information at the top of the article and your e-mail address at the end.
2. References should appear at the end of the manuscript, using the MLA style. Consult the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (7th edition) or http://www.dianahacker.com/resdoc/humanities/english.html for the accepted form.
3. Visuals are highly desirable and should be submitted whenever possible to accompany a manuscript. Electronically-submitted photos are preferred in JPEG or TIFF format and should be 300 dpi. If scanning is not an option, all graphics should be of good technical quality; art work should be prepared in black ink on white paper or board. Black-and-white glossy photographs are preferable to color. Label the back of each photo or piece of art with name and address. Visuals from published manuscripts will not be returned.
4. Kentucky Libraries cannot consider any manuscript that is also being considered for publication elsewhere. Authors are responsible for the accuracy of all material submitted, including charts, references, quotations, etc. All manuscripts accepted for publication will be edited to conform to KLA style and space limitations.
5. Manuscripts for feature articles will be photocopied or emailed for review by members of the editorial committee. A definite publication date cannot be given since any incoming manuscripts will be added to the manuscript bank from which articles are selected for each issue. Publication can be reasonably expected within 12 months.
6. No payment is made for articles published; the author will receive 2 copies of Kentucky Libraries in which the article appears.
7. Common reasons for rejection are inappropriate topic or style, repetition of a recently-published or commonly-known topic, excessive work of one author, inaccurate information, and poor quality writing. Rejected manuscripts will be returned.
Guidelines for Letters to the Editor for Kentucky Libraries
Kentucky Libraries welcomes letters from its readers. Letters to the Editor may be in response to a published article, an inquiry, a position on library issues, or a suggestion for the association or publication. When necessary, agree to disagree respectfully. Letters that challenge an opinion must be written without attacking the person who asserted it.
Each letter must be signed by the author and include an e-mail address so that the letter’s authenticity may be verified. Letters without this information for verification will not be considered. Anonymous letters will not be considered.
Letters should be limited to 250 words.
Letters of campaigns or petitions will not be considered.
The editorial board reserves the right to:
8. Submit manuscripts and letters in Word to:
Brandeis School of Law
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292-0001
The editorial committee is composed of Kentucky Library Association members representing different types of libraries and is responsible for the selection of material to be included in Kentucky Libraries. The Committee encourages KLA members to submit timely, accurate, and well-written feature articles for publication. Deadlines for submission of material are as follows:
Issue/Number Copy Due Published
Issue 1 December 15 February 15
Issue 2 March 15 May 15
Issue 3 June 15 August 15
Issue 4 September 15 November 15