A Brief History of the Kentucky Library Association (KLA)
In June of 1906, librarians, trustees, teachers, club women and others interested in libraries and education met in Louisville and adopted a Constitution and Bylaws. They became the Kentucky Library Association's fifty-two charter members. Early concerns were for the formation of a state library commission and the need and availability of free state documents. In March 1910, the Kentucky Library Commission became a reality, supporting the distribution of books across the state. The Kentucky Library Association, by unanimous vote, became affiliated with the American Library Association in 1917.
County libraries and service to all Kentucky's citizens were emphasized. In 1933 the first Bulletin of the Kentucky Library Association was published. Meetings were held in all parts of the state as membership grew. State Board certification for librarians, actively sought by the membership, was legislated in 1938. Plans to utilize federal funding were in place as early as 1940. A legislative committee, radio announcements to publicize libraries, and the first bookmobiles appeared before 1950.
Better education in Kentucky was provided through the cooperation of school and public libraries. Audiovisuals, state funds for public libraries, and Social Security eligibility for librarians in Kentucky were supported by the association. Service to culturally disadvantaged children, safe guarding intellectual freedom, training of qualified personnel, and funding are on-going concerns of The Kentucky Library Association.
The Kentucky Library Association is also a clearing-house for information. Through meetings, networking, and publications facilitated by the association, libraries throughout the state are moving forward toward a dynamic future as resource centers. Changing technologies and expanded literacy programs point to an exciting picture for the next century. Join KLA in bringing the full benefit of these changes to all citizens of the Commonwealth.